Saturday, December 03, 2011

Stay at Home Mom

Over the course of the past year, RoBrotz and I bounced around the idea of me becoming a stay at home mom (SAHM). Financially, it didn't make sense for me to continue working since daycare would be the same cost as our mortgage almost. If my job was a career place, I would have considered staying. As much as I loved working with my coworkers in my department and in assessment, it was a job, not a career or life to me. I couldn't justify working and being away from my girls for what my take home pay would have been after daycare and costs of working (foods, gas, etc).

So yesterday, I gave my two weeks notice. I could have waited an additional three months, but it seemed pretty pointless since my mind was made up. RoBrotz ultimately left it up to me, but he supported my decision. He did ask me to continue to look into the job market though, in case a better paying option becomes available.

The entire time driving into work, I was nervous. It's a life alternating decision. There are so many unknowns, so many uncertainties, especially in this economy. What happens if something happens to RoBrotz' job, Heaven forbid? I know it's a heavy load to carry for him to know he is carrying the burden of providing financially for us, not to mention our health, dental and vision care.

There was much prayer on this. And I'm honest when I say it was pretty much the entire year's worth of thinking on it and praying on it. I trust in God that this is the right course of action. Now that the girls and I've gotten a routine down, and with the Moms group I'm in, I honestly felt it was God's push to this direction.

I also have been thinking on this with the chapter I'm in with Radical. It has to deal with poverty and how if we have our own homes, transportation, and can put food on the table, than we are in the top 15% of the world's population. I have long wanted to help, but didn't have a clue how to. God put me in this position for a reason, and I want to help others out as well. Hopefully, I'll be able to be guided more to do His work.

So, thank you Lord for providing my husband and I means for me to stay home with our children.

No comments:

Post a Comment