Thursday, January 22, 2009

Stupid Directions!!!!

I finished the first sleeve last night. Those stupid directions! Did anyone make this pattern after it was written before it was published?!?! I can’t imagine I’m that dense in order to understand these as poorly as I am! The sleeve tells you specifically to work the one side like the back and the other side like the correct front piece. If you worked the two pieces correctly, they SHOULD be the same (i.e. after one stitch on end for alt rows single decrease twice, then double decrease, repeat 5 times). The wording suggests that there is a different type of decrease for the front part of the sleeve/arm hole than the back part of the sleeve/arm hole. It tells me, after I've finished the decreases for the front... wtf? Aren't they the same?!

I love this actual outfit, but I’m appalled by the writing. I’ve had to reread these directions more times than I care to remember. Now, I’m no pattern writer, but honestly, it’s not like this is my first sweater from a pattern. I’ve been knitting different styles (past easy scarf and blanket squares/rectangles) for at least 4 years. I could understand this being written for something like ravelry, where you can just publish it yourself, but for a printing company?! Ugh. Maybe it’s just me and I’ve totally screwed up this shirt. I really hope not. Sorry to the author, I’m sure you wrote the pattern for the 6 month size and whenever it was converted to the 3 month size and no one had actually made the different sizes. *sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment